Well, you made it. Your little one is turning ONE! While there may be mixed feelings of joy - from watching them turn into a toddler overnight - to sadness - because your little one is no longer considered an infant, the time is here. They are ready to take on the world. Nothing says it better than the perfect photo session capturing all that is your little one. With that being said, one of the first tips is:
· Simple is better. A banner for the backdrop and maybe one or two props is PLENTY for a great photo shoot.
· MAKE IT YOUR OWN. Clients are responsible for all decorations, so when considering them, Liz by Design Photography encourages you to incorporate your family and culture. This is a time for you and your family. Bring in a touch of your personality and make it special to you.
· For instance, a client decided that, instead of doing a cake smash, they did a “spaghetti smash”. They had fresh vegetable decorations, baby wore a mustache, and it turned his first spaghetti encounter into a fun, documented experience.
That is not to say that cake smashes are not the way to go. This is a wonderful way to commemorate your little one’s first birthday!! If you decide to go with a cake smash, here are some tips you may have not known:
· Babies do not like cold hands. If your smash cake was refrigerated, make sure it has had plenty of time to thaw and become more room temp by the time it’s time for your little one to dig in.
· Give your baby a taste of something sweet days before their session to acclimate them to sweets. There have been photo shoots of babies who gag and tear up after trying their cake for the first time because the icing is too sweet.
· Try to steer clear of Crisco based icings. This kind of icing is very hard to get off your little one. It’s also a good idea to stay away from dark, staining icings.
· Mom & Dad - make sure you bring an old t-shirt and pants that you don’t mind getting icing…ALL OVER. Many times, parents get messier than baby!
Don't forget these items for your photo session:
1. Two towels: 1 for baby after the cake smash session and 1 in case you decide to finish the session with a fun bubble bath
2. Snacks/food/drinks - cake can make your little one very thirsty.
3. Decorations for the photo shoot
4. Smash Cake, if you plan on doing a cake smash session (Don't forget to let it thaw prior to arriving)
5. Lots of baby wipes
6. Saline wipes – if baby is fighting a cold - these work fast to get the crusted on goo off.
7. Favorite Toy or special “lovie” if your little one is attached to something
8. At least two outfits for your little one – to ensure you have a clean one to bring head home in. You may also want to consider a "back-up" outfit if you are planning a certain look for photos. There are times where your sweet little nugget might destroy it before the photo session even starts.
9. Extra outfit for yourself, or arrive in something you don’t mind getting messy